Sunday, September 15, 2013

The Otto Preminger Collection (Hurry Sundown / Skidoo / Such Good Friends) [Blu-ray]



Preminger Way Ahead Of His Time
Preminger was never really appreciated enough for his gifted art. I've got to admit that when I was young I was turned off by Preminger purely on the grounds that I found him strange looking and his accent almost comical. But as an older adult I have really taken a good look at his work and find his talent at the genius level. Also he is every bit as original as someone like Kubrick and I know this is blasphemous but I think he had far more to say than Kubrick. Preminger was originally a protege of Daryl F Zanuck but soon felt controlled and unable to express his own ideas so he set out on his own with what yielded his greatest artistic achievements. He would take a story that most directors could only deliver straight forward action with and inject ideas that trancended the plot and often expressed the notion of the absurd nature of human existance. Much of this was done in such a sly tongue and cheek manner that you really had to be up on your Premingerisms to realize it. This...





Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment