Saturday, September 7, 2013

The Virginian



A good movie, but do your reading first
I personally enjoyed this production of the Virginian, but I will say that having read the book beforehand helped me out a lot. The plot is rushed through in places, and I imagine some would find spots of it hard to follow if unfamiliar with the story. I also found there to be a lack of character development, which could further mystify those who haven't read the book. Unfortunately, two hours of film just isn't enough to do this fine book justice. It just kills me that Bill Pullman didn't produce this as a mini-series a la Lonesome Dove; it would have been hands-down fantastic!

However, as is I enjoyed Bill Pullman as the leading man; his every-day guy look made him more realistic and a nice change from the stereotypical square-jawed hunk. I also loved the cinematography of the picture; it really gives one the feeling of the West's vast, wide-open spaces. Truly stunning scenery, especially with the hauntingly beautiful soundtrack. And, while just a snip of the whole story,...

Pullman Perfect
In 1902 Owen Wister wrote The Virginian and created the template for all future cowboy heroes. This seminal tale includes the man with no name, the school marm from the East, the betrayal of a friend and the final showdown between hero and villain. Bill Pullman, one of Hollywood's best and most versatile actors, makes his directorial debut here and does himself proud. He lovingly retells this story of the classic American cowboy, staying true to the book's language, pace and tone. The photography is lush, the music evocative and the acting by Diane Lane, Dennis Weaver and John Savage is dead on. At the center, though, is Pullman's performance as the outsider who's slow to anger but quick on the draw. The Virginian is the quintessential strong, soft spoken hero we've come to know in so many subsequent westerns. Unlike a lot of actor/directors, who might have been tempted to create more of a showcase for themselves, Pullman is smart enough to play The Virginian as written-...

I Loved it.
More and more, I'm growing fond of westerns; and when I saw that Bill Pullman (I'm a big fan of his) was actor and director in this film, I just had to see it. I saw it uninterrupted and loved it. The scenery was breath taking and, ah, the sound of those violins. I thought Mr. Pullman did a real fine job in the role of the Virginian and as director. Diane Lane was a good choice for the role of Molly Stark. James Drury was impressive as the messenger. In fact, applause to all concerned. Although it may go against the tradition of the previous "Virginians", I'm hoping Mr. Pullman does a sequel. This video won't be available for sale until February 2001, and I've already placed my order. I can't sign off without commenting on the review from Copacabana, Australia. It was appalling and should have been banned.

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment